Monday, April 4, 2011

Trussing and Fabricating Chicken

Since I am still not back at school, (after more than 3 weeks) due to a labour dispute at the university, it is becoming more difficult to stay focused on school work.
Regular life just has a way of taking over again and since I am busy as it is, taking care of a home and family, I sometimes wonder if I can go back to school, once the labour issues are resolved?

A couple of times since being off, I went to the local butcher shop to buy a whole chicken. In my training so far, we have 'trussed' and 'fabricated' a couple of chickens and I thought I might as well practice what I learned.

Trussing a chicken:
 
Trussing is tying a bird into a more
compact shape using string or butcher's
twine.
This allows the bird to cook more evenly,
helps the bird retain moisture and
improves the appearance of the
finished product.


Fabricating a chicken:
To fabricate means to further process a chicken by cutting it into pieces, de-boning it and taking the skin off, if so needed.



Dark meat: wings, thighs, drumsticks

Meal #1: Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy



Light meat: breasts and tenders

Meal #2: Butter Chicken and Rice


Chicken Bones

Meal #3: Chicken Stock for Soup



I have been trying to study ahead, read my textbook, spend time on the Internet researching ...all with the intention to make the most of the time away from school.

This week I will focus on some spring cleaning, visiting with friends and watching the birds... to keep my sanity.




No comments:

Post a Comment