Saturday, April 23, 2011

Culinary Arts at VIU continues ...

It was practically hours before the deadline of major ramifications for students, teachers and administration at Vancouver Island University, that job action by the Faculty Union came to an end.

It had been exactly a month since I last attended classes and during my break from school I contemplated if I could really go back and add the extra responsibilities to my life.



Well, it did not take a day for me to realize again, how much I enjoy what I learn and how much I appreciate the top instruction that makes this program so successful.
I am also getting to know the other students in my group and it is starting to feel a bit like family.

Max and Tasha

Scott

Kailem

Tyler and Jacob

I believe we work well together as a team and this week I was in their debt, because Roland (my husband) was out of town and I could not come into class on time. So every day these (super) students did my prep work in the morning.
On Friday, to thank them from the bottom of my heart, I brought in my (other places famous) cinnamon buns.


I think they liked them (judging by the offers to do my prep work again anytime I bring in some more cinnamon buns).


After being back in school for a few days all the students and instructors of the culinary program got treated to 'order in' Chinese Food.





Free food, for close to 100 culinary students, which we did not have to make ourselves, was fantastic. It was also a super nice gesture from our Program Chair, to show appreciation and support for the difficult time the labour dispute had on all of us.

I also got to attend one of the senior classes in the food lab this week.

Vegetarian cooking and menu planning:







Mauricio had a little dicing competition going with the chef.


The vegetarian lab was very interesting, and I must admit that there are many ingredients that I am not familiar with yet.




Everything was very tasty. A variety of flavours and textures.
Thank you 'seniors', thank you chef, for allowing me to join your lab this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment